PHEM in Wales

 

Welcome to Wales!  Croeso I Gymru!

Posts are available for Scheme A (blended) or C (full-time). Scheme C is delivered as a full-time 12 month training period outside core specialty. Scheme A is delivered over 2 years with 3 weekly rotation between EM and PHEM. Less than full-time (LTFT) trainees can also be accommodated.

The training scheme is split into 3 phases. Phase 1a is an induction phase where you will receive comprehensive and immersive training required to work safely and effectively in the pre-hospital environment. This is predominantly delivered in the EMRTS Dafen base but includes induction days with the Physician Response Unit (PRU) in Newport and Conflict Resolution/Manual Handling training with WAST. You will also spend 10 days on the national PHEM induction course.

In phases 1b and 2, you will be supervised by experienced consultants in Pre-Hospital Emergency Medicine. You will also have a HEIW supervisor allocated to you to guide you safely through the curriculum. You will always work under the supervision or mentorship of an experienced provider in the pre-hospital environment.

80% of the Wales PHEM training is completed as an attachment to EMRTS Cymru. This service runs in conjunction with Wales Air Ambulance from its bases in Llanelli, Welshpool and Caernarfon therefore most shifts will be based around these sites. The remaining 20% of training is undertaken with the PRU based out of Newport.

EMRTS have a new airbase that opened in 2016 near Llanelli, with dedicated training rooms and conferencing facilities. There are also IT and study facilities there.

Some aspects of the PHEM curriculum cannot be covered by Critical Care alone and therefore PHEM trainees in Wales will also spend some time on the PRU – a joint venture between the Welsh Ambulance Service and Aneurin Bevan University Health Board in SE Wales. These shifts will enable you to manage mainly lower acuity patients and find new ways to apply your pre-hospital skills. More specialist training will be delivered by study days at a regional level in conjunction with the HEE South West (Severn) PHEM training scheme. We also have several NSA 1 and 2 examiners in the region who are great for advice regarding examinations.

Supervision is provided on several levels. Once Phase 1a is completed, the trainee will be working directly with doctors and paramedics who have been trained in the use of the IBTPHEM Workplace Assessment tools. A Consultant Clinical Supervisor will also directly supervise the trainee during the entirety of Phase 1, and your Educational Supervisor will meet with you regularly to assess your progress. During phase 2 more independent practice is encouraged and you will undertake more “solo” shifts whilst supervision is maintained at a more distant level.

Wales offers an excellent opportunity to train in PHEM, providing the full range of pre-hospital care and retrieval medicine in both the Urban and Rural environment.

Another great reason for training in Wales is the amazing people you will meet and places you will see – what other reasons can you need for training here?

If you want to talk to us about a PHEM career in Wales, get in touch with Tim Manfield – AWSEM PHEM lead and deputy TPD, or Stuart Gill – PHEM TPD.